Project Manager, Professional Services - Germany
Commvault is a worldwide leader in delivering backup and recovery for the progressive enterprise. Commvault enables you to protect, manage, and use your data, while managing it in a consistent, compliant way. Our automated solutions work on-prem and in the cloud, and work with the digital tools and procedures you’re already using. Keep your data accessible and actionable with a single solution that ensures your data is always available — no matter what.
The (Sr.) Project Manager in Germany is a pivotal role in ensuring the success of our customer projects in Germany (primary) and potentially other german-speaking countries in the territory (secondary), with main focus on our Tier 1 enterprise customers.
Germany is a key growth region and key customer projects leadership is critical to that growth. The (Sr.) Project Manager is responsible both for successful delivery of our projects within budget, time and quality, and wider commercial oversight of these projects (project profitability, resourcing, margin). In addition, we expect the (Sr.) Project Manager to be commercial savvy, spotting opportunities to expand project services at existing customers (land & expand), as well as ensuring new customers are offered the right mix of services within these projects, to ensure the right customer outcomes, from the outset.
As such, the remit of the (Sr.) Project Manager spans both delivery responsibility for the portfolio of projects managed, and responsibility for close collaboration with the sales-oriented teams in the region, thereby ensuring (project management) services are well represented within projects where these services ought to be attached to product sales to ensure the right outcomes, mitigate risk and realize value.
Customer satisfaction is vital and this individual should work closely with the sales-oriented teams, project office/operations and service delivery leader(s) to ensure engagements are delivered in a timely fashion, to the specifications defined in the signed off design document and within budget.
This role reports into the EMEA Services Delivery Leader and forms part of the EMEA Services and Project Manager’s community (peers)
Detailed Role Responsibilities
- Creates a coherent, consistent Project Initiation Document (PID) and Project Execution Strategy that brings together the business need, the proposed solution, and the preliminary plan for scope, time and cost. These documents will serve as a proposal or contract document, which is used to get project sponsor approval
- Executes pro-active stakeholder management during the project
- Needs to be able to use manual and automated tools, such as Gantt charts in Microsoft Project to schedule and track progress of the work performed
- Defines clear and unambiguous scope of the project in terms of, but not limited to, processes, deliverables, user groups, geographies, applications, data and infrastructure
- Defines client needs and, from this, the scope of the project, to correctly and effectively determine functional specifications and allocate resources
- Determines whether the scope is too large, and subdivides major deliverables into smaller, more manageable projects
- Defines project roles and responsibilities, deliverables, time estimates and resources (including personnel, technology and equipment)
- Ensure a clear and communicated Change procedure for scope changes is in place. Validate each Request for Change (RFC) on impact on Scope, Budget, Time and Risk. Gain approval for the RFC from the Customer and Commvault before proceeding with the change.
- Prepares and controls a project schedule that accurately reflects tasks, time estimates and resources (including personnel, technology and equipment) associated with each task
- Identifies and manages internal and external dependencies, as well as cross project deliverables
- Controls scope changes that affect the project schedule; revises the schedule as necessary. Reacts to changes as appropriate
- Prepares a project budget, broken down by time period (phases), cost types (Capex, Opex), cost components (hardware, licenses, etc) and resources
- Uses tools such as project management systems (PPM) spreadsheets and other manual and automated financial systems (NetSuite OpenAir) to control the budget and expenses
- Reacts and reports on changes and revises the budget as necessary
- Provides the costing-side of the Business Case
- Provides a clear foundation for the needed contingency budget, based on risk mitigation
- Knowledge on how to apply different contract models for offering projects – Time & Materials or Fixed Price.
- Is responsible to understand the business requirements and ensures that 'the product' will satisfy these
- Measures project deliverables on quality and completeness regularly to ensure that the project will satisfy the relevant quality standards
- Captures lessons learned during the project and shares these pro-actively with Project Board at project phase gates and closure, and provides (mitigating) actions
- Contributes to the development and implementation of quality standards
- Provide weekly project reports with the overall project health and special attention for actuals versus budgets, risks, changes, issues, cost
- Provide insight in near future progress of milestones, planning, deviations and costs for each project
- Managing multiple projects cross region – focused on Tier 1 Enterprise (larger) projects
- Work closely with the PMO/Operations team to maintain adequate supply of skilled delivery resources from within Commvault permanent staff and local resource augmentation partners
- May occasionally have to focus on customer escalation triage, thereby acting as a conduit between customer and Commvault sales, services and support teams for critical issue resolution during or post project delivery
- First point of contact for customers in case of project issues/questions and follow up activities for Commvault Professional Services
Key Attributes of the (Sr.) Project Manager
The role is pivotal to the satisfactory growth of the regional PS revenue, Software revenue and the ultimate success of Commvault given the degree of end customer focus. It is therefore necessary for candidates to possess the following attributes: customer focused, accountability & ownership, written & verbal communication skills, solution management focus, consulting skills, commercial skills (act as sounding board to sales-oriented teams, represent services interests)
Fluent German and English is essential for this role.
Commvault is an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are always committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. and we will not discriminate against on the basis of such characteristics or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we work.
Plug in now-
reach your career squad goals
Do you imagine ideas that others simply don’t? Do you think about making great, even greater? Do you get antsy waiting for change that doesn’t come? We do too—we are freeing the discovery of things yet defined. Plug into a community of like minded people striving to make an impact.Plug in now!